Першая Кантакты Мапа
The National Sanctuary of the Mother of God in Budslau
The National Sanctuary in Budslau occupies the central part in life of the Catholic Church in Belarus. The Icon of the Mother of God of Budslau —Patroness of Belarus — as a miracle-working relic was mentioned for the first time in 1617. The main feast is observed on July 2nd.
Title of the church: Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary
Remission Days: July 2nd, August 15th

Holy Masses:
On Sundays and feasts 10.30, 12.00
On working days 08.00
Address: Chyrvonaya ploshcha 8, 220374, Budslau, Miadel district, Minsk region
Tel.: 8 (01797) 3–13–73
Tel./Fax: 8 (01797) 3–13–99

From the history of Budslau and Budslau parish

  • 1530 — Bernardine Brothers from a cloister in Vilna come to the settlement called Buda (in historical documents the place is also known as Butslau) and build a small wooden chapel;
  • 1591 — consecration of a wooden church under the title of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary;
  • 1613 — the miraculous icon of the Mother of God appears in Budslau;
  • August 28, 1633 — a cornerstone of the first stone church is laid in the Budslau residence;
  • 1643 — erection of the shrine is completed;
  • July 9 of the same year — consecration of the newly built church;
  • July 29, 1767 — a cornerstone for a grand basilica is laid;
  • September 7, 1783 — solemn consecration of the basilica under the title of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary;
  • December 9, 1787 — Budslau becomes an independent parish;
  • 1858 — the cloister is closed. The church works only on a parish level. After suppression of the rebellion of 1863, cloister buildings are taken away by tsar troops; in the end of the XIX century the cloister is totally dismantled;
  • 1919–1939 — the church and its interior are restored and renovated;
  • Since 1990-s — beginning of revival of shrines in Budslau;
  • July 2, 1992 — first pilgrimage is organized;
  • 1996 — the Bernardines return to Budslau;
  • Today the church in Budslau is a historic monument of republican significance. The priest’s house, which was built near the temple in the ХІХ century, is also recognized as a monument of architecture with features of eclecticism. The chapel on the parish cemetery — a small rectangular building of classicism style from quarry-stone under the ridge roof — preserved its original appearance very well.

From the history of the Icon of the Mother of God of Budslau

According to chronicles of the Bernardine cloister in Budslau, the Icon of the Mother of God of Budslau has been kept in Buda (present-day Budslau) since 1613. In 1598 the icon was presented to governor of the Minsk province Jan Pats, who highly cherished the relic and kept it beside him all the time. After Pats’s death in 1610 the icon remained in possession of his chaplain Isac Salakaj, later it went to vicar in the village of Dauhinava. In 1613 Salakaj, who came to Budslau on Great Thursday and Friday solemnities, was so impressed by divine service that decided to satisfy fathers’ request to grant the icon to the local church.

Having been placed in the wooden church, the icon from the very beginning was honoured by common faithful people; it became famous for its miracles and mercies and in 1635 was transferred into the main altar. Starting from 1617 the history and miracles of the icon were described by prior Eleutyry Zeliaevich in the book “Zadyiak na ziamli” (Zodiac on Earth). The first miracle was recorded in 1617 when a five-year old boy Yazafat Tyshkevich, who later became a famous Carmelite father, regained the ability too see.

Today the Icon of the Mother of God of Budslau is an all-Belarusian relic, which was eloquently proved by the coronation of the icon by cardinal Kazimierz Świątek on July 2, 1998. Since 1992 pilgrimages to Budslau have been held annually.

II International Meeting of «Caritas Belarus» partners in Minsk

II International Meeting of «Caritas Belarus» partners in Minsk

Read more...  
Pre-abortion counseling in Mogilev

Charity foundation “Open hearts” organizes the regular training seminar for volunteers who would like to provide free pre-abortion counseling. Seminar takes place on 4-5, February, 2012, in Mogilev.